Pebble Beach has become a marvelous venue for introducing new cars to a worldwide audience that appreciates premium vehicles. Before a private gathering of faithful followers to the brand, Lexus revealed the refreshed 2016 Lexus LX 570 luxury SUV. The stout SUV has been so heavily updated, only the door panels were carried over from the 2015 model.
The 2016 Lexus LX 570 luxury SUV receives major improvements across the board and does a good job of combining superb comfort with heavy duty capabilities. The new face of the LX 570 has a more aggressive cut of the Lexus spindle grille and reshaped front fenders that feature sharper creases and LED headlights. The taillights and rear bumper have also been restyled. Complementing the style changes are new 20- and 21-inch wheel designs.
Underneath the style changes is a new 8-speed automatic transmission paired with the trusty 383 horsepower 5.7-liter V8. Full-time four wheel drive and a 7,000 pound towing capacity are still in place for owners who take their recreation time seriously.
Individual drive modes (ECO, COMFORT, SPORT S, SPORT S+) allow the driver to select the proper powertrain and suspension settings using a dial on the console near the gear select shifter. The system also controls responses of the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), which continually adjusts shock absorber damping rates to ensure the best ride possible as road surfaces change.
Increasing the active and passive safety features of the 2016 LX 570 was a big priority for the engineers. Now the refreshed luxury SUV has blind spot monitoring with rear cross traffic alert, a tire pressure monitoring system, and the Lexus Safety System +. This comprehensive system that is standard equipment for the 2016 LX 570 combines Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA), Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
Passenger comfort improvements include the addition of heated/ventilated middle row seats, automatic climate controls that monitors four separate climate zones and adjust fans, and temperature of the seats and steering wheel individually. Available is a dual-screen rear seat entertainment system that now features 11.6-inch screens. Also new are USB ports for the second row passengers and controls for AC and audio tucked into the armrest. LED ambient lighting is placed throughout the cabin and cargo area.
What’s New for 2016:
- 8-speed automatic transmission replaces 6-speed
- Restyle front end with one-piece spindle grille
- Drive Mode Select
- LED headlights, turn signals, and fog lights
- Revise taillights and rear bumper
- New 20- and 21-inch wheel designs
- Standard Lexus Safety System +
- Upgraded multimedia with 12.3 inch screen and Remote Touch Interface
- Larger 4.2-inch multi-information display
- Standard Panoramic View Camera
- Available Heads-Up Display
- Three-spoke wood-trimmed steering wheel
- Luxury Package now includes ventilated/heated rear seats
- LED ambient lighting in cabin and cargo area
- Touch-sensor overhead lighting
- Manual second-row sunshades
- Available wireless charging tray for Qi-compatible phones
- Larger 11.6-inch screens for available Rear Entertainment System
- Standard Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Tire-specific tire pressure monitoring system
2016 Lexus LX 570 Specs:
- Engine: 5.7L DOHC 32-valve VVT-i V8
- Power: 383 hp @ 5,600 rpm
- Torque: 403 lb-ft @ 3,600 rpm
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic
- Drivetrain layout: front engine, full-time four wheel drive (4WD)
- Curb weight: 6,000 lbs.
- Weight distribution percent front/rear: 51/49
- 0 – 60 mph: 7.3 seconds
- Top track speed: 137 mph (electronically limited)
- Estimated fuel economy (city/hwy/combined mpg): 13/18/15
Watch this TFL video of the 2015 Lexus LX570 towing a heavy trailer up the Ike Gauntlet extreme grade at high altitude.