The second week in Monterey, California is host to a full week of automotive events that ends in grand fashion with the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. The beautiful California coast and aura of automotive luxury was the perfect setting to introduce the new 2016 Lexus GS 200t.
New addition to the GS family is the 2016 Lexus GS 200t that is powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission. The twin-scroll turbocharged and intercooled four cylinder engine puts forth 241 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque for a respectable zero to sixty mph time of 7.2 seconds and a top speed of 143 mph. Lexus claims that the GS 200t can achieve up to 33 mpg on the highway.
Not to be left out of the spotlight, the normally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 engine of the 2016 Lexus GS 350 gets a small bump in power to 311 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. The 2015 model is rated at 306 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque. The eight-speed automatic , rear-wheel drive mid-size luxury sedan is EPA estimated to get 29 mpg on the highway. When fuel economy isn’t a concern, the GS 350 can zip from zero to sixty mph in 5.7 seconds and hit a top speed of 143 mph.
In addition to the new turbocharged engine, the Lexus GS receives a restyle front-end with the company’s signature spindle grille and LED headlamps as standard equipment. Other styling changes that mark the 2016 model include a new front bumper and rocker panel design, revised taillights and new 18- and 19-inch wheel designs.
What’s new for 2016:
- New GS 200t RWD model with 2.0-liter turbocharge engine
- More power and torque for GS 350
- Restyled front end with standard Bi-LED headlamps
- New available Lexus Safety System +
- Upgraded multimedia technology
- Standard navigation for GS 350/GS 450h
- New interior colors and wood trim selections
2016 Lexus GS 200t Specs:
- Engine: 3.5L turbocharged DOHC 16-valve with Dual VVT-iW 4-cylinder
- Power: 241 hp @ 5,800 rpm
- Torque: 258 lb-ft @ 1,650 – 4,400 rpm
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic
- Drivetrain layout: front engine, RWD
- Curb weight: 3,805 lbs.
- 0 – 60 mph: 7.2 seconds
- Top track speed: 143 mph
- Estimated fuel economy (mpg) city/hwy/combined: 22/33/26 (GS 200t) | 20/30/24 (GS 200t F SPORT)
2016 Lexus GS 350 Specs:
- Engine: 3.5L turbocharged DOHC 24-valve with Dual VVT-I V6
- Power: 311 hp @ 6,400 rpm
- Torque: 280 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic (RWD), 6–speed automatic (AWD)
- Drivetrain layout: front engine, RWD and AWD
- Curb weight: 3,726 lbs. (GS 350), 3,891 lbs. (GS 350 AWD)
- Weight distribution percent front/rear: 53/47 (AWD 54/46)
- 0 – 60 mph: 5.7 seconds
- Top track speed: 143 mph
- Estimated fuel economy (city/hwy/combined mpg): 20/29/23 (GS 350 RWD) | 19/28/22 (GS 350 F SPORT) | 19/27/22 (GS 350 AWD)
Watch the 2016 Lexus GS F debut from the 2015 Detroit Auto Show.