TFL’s Roman Mica pits the new McLaren 570s against the long-in-the-tooth Nissan GT-R Nismo, two evenly matched supercars. Roman’s in Oregon testing the top cars, SUVs, trucks, and crossovers of the year as part of the Automotive Video Awards. Both the McLaren and the GT-R are there to be considered. So let’s see which one reigns supreme.
In one corner:
The McLaren 570S
- TFL Nickname: “The Scalpel”
- 3.8-liter twin turbo V8
- 562 horsepower, 443 lb-ft. torque
- Mid engine, rear-wheel-drive
- 7-speed dual clutch transmission
- Featherweight 3,300 lbs. curb weight
- Price: More than $200,000
- Bonus: It’s a convertible
- Quick review: Acceleration induces tunnel vision, visceral connection to the road.
Nissan GT-R Nismo
- TFL Nickname: “The Hammer” “Godzilla”
- 3.8-liter twin turbo V6
- 600 horsepower, 481 .b-ft. torque
- Front engine, all-wheel-drive
- 6-speed dual clutch transmission
- Price: $175,000
- Bonus: A real trunk big enough for golf bags
- Quick review: Old in the tooth, but still a thrill. A supercar that works as a daily driver.