The 2016 Hyundai Tucson crossover has been redesigned this year. Now starting its third generation, the Hyundai Tucson was test driven at an event held for the press. Sporting a more aggressive look, the versatile crossover is easy on the eyes and is rich with content for a starting price of only $22,700.
The third generation Tucson is built on a new platform that translates to a fun ride with nimble handling and accurate steering. The restyled exterior is bold and sporty looking. The front-end gets a new, big hexagonal grille featuring low-profile headlights that give it a cat-eye look. LED taillights and integrated LED side lamps fit right in with its modern design.
Two available powertrains are at the core of the new 2016 Hyundai Tucson. The base SE trim gets a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine capable of producing 164 horsepower and 151 lb-ft of torque. Mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission, the EPA-estimated fuel economy is 23 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway for the FWD version. All-wheel drive is available for an additional $1,400.
Move up to the Eco, Sport or Limited trim and the 2016 Tucson is fitted with a 1.6-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder that produces 175 horsepower and 196 lb-ft of torque. The turbocharged engine is paired with a 7-speed automatic dual-clutch transmission. Its EPA-estimated fuel economy is expected to be 26 mpg and 33 mpg respectively for city and highway driving. Both engines benefit from direct injection and are offered with a choice of either front or all-wheel drive.
The 2016 Hyundai Tucson is due to go on sale this summer and sets itself apart from the competition with a set of available active safety features usually reserved for vehicles in a higher price bracket. More details about safety features and pricing is HERE.
There is a lot to like about the redesigned Hyundai Tucson. Indulge in the videos below to learn Roman’s impressions after driving the all-new 2016 Tucson for a day.
2016 Hyundai Tucson Specs:
- Base Engine: 2.0L direct injection 4-cylinder
- Power: 164 hp @ 6,200 rpm
- Torque: 151 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm
- Transmission: 6-speed automatic
- EPA estimated fuel economy (mpg): 23 city/31 hwy/26 combined
- Optional Engine: 1.6L turbocharged 4-cylinder
- Power: 175 hp 5,500 rpm
- Torque: 195 lb-ft @ 1,500 -4,500 rpm
- Transmission: 7-speed EcoShift Dual Clutch
- EPA estimated fuel economy (mpg): 25 city/30 hwy/27 combined
- Dimensions (length x width x height): 176.2 x 72.8 x 65.0 in.
- Wheelbase: 105.1 in.
- Ground Clearance: 6.4 in.
The 2016 Tucson is available in four distinct trim levels, offering a Tucson for different buyer preferences. Those include:
- SE: Well-equipped, price-leading model including popular options
- Eco: Affordable turbo model that delivers more power and improved fuel economy
- Sport: Features sporty cues and driving dynamics
- Limited: Luxury model with leather, advanced technology and other premium features
2016 HYUNDAI TUCSON PRICING
|SE||2.0L 4-Cylinder||6-Speed Automatic||FWD||$22,700|
|SE||2.0L 4-Cylinder||6-Speed Automatic||AWD||$24,100|
|Eco||1.6L Turbo 4-Cylinder||7-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch||FWD||$24,150|
|Eco||1.6L Turbo 4-Cylinder||7-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch||AWD||$25,550|
|Sport||1.6L Turbo 4-Cylinder||7-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch||FWD||$26,150|
|Sport||1.6L Turbo 4-Cylinder||7-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch||AWD||$27,550|
|Limited||1.6L Turbo 4-Cylinder||7-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch||FWD||$29,900|
|Limited||1.6L Turbo 4-Cylinder||7-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch||AWD||$31,300|
** Freight charges for the 2016 Tucson are $895 and not included in the prices above.