The European New Car Assessment Program (Euro NCAP) has awarded the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage with a four-star rating. Five stars is the highest possible score and it’s based on a variety of tests that culminate a star score. By comparison, the 2012 Jeep Compass’ Euro NCAP score was two-stars.
These Euro NCAP scores for the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage are based on a maximum 100%:
Adult Occupant: 90%
Child Occupant: 72%
Safety Assist: 55%
“Since 2009, Euro NCAP releases an overall rating for each tested vehicle, with assessments in Adult Occupant Protection, Child Protection, Pedestrian Protection and Safety Assist. Euro NCAP also releases information on ESC fitment and results of seats put through Rear Impact (Whiplash) testing.
Euro NCAP offers consumers the opportunity to compare the safety performance of similar mass vehicles with their chosen vehicle.” – – European NCAP
This is good news for potential buyers in North America as vehicles that do well with the Euro NCAP tend to do well with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). There will be some modifications, but that’s typical for an imported vehicle.
“Starting point was Mitsubishi Motors’ patented “RISE” (“Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution”) active structure, meant to efficiently absorb an impact from all directions and to disperse it.
Improving on it for Mirage, Mitsubishi R&D added straight and large section front cross-members, so called “Multi-load pass frame”. Together with a reinforced cabin, they contribute to better energy management in case of a front crash.
In the area of pedestrian safety, Mirage does obviously comply with the new EU regulations enforced from 2013, incl.:
- High(er) bonnet line meant to create a larger buffer between (soft) bonnet panel and (hard) engine underneath
- Crushable energy absorbing cowl top / wiper area and front fenders
- Energy absorbing frame behind front bumper
- Energy absorbing headlamp area.
- Mirage front seats offer themselves a high safety level with double pre-tensioner (retractor and lap outer) + force limiter seatbelts as well as a built-inwhiplash injury reduction design.
- Door and tailgate latches feature a disengaging function to reduce the risk of unexpected opening in the event of a crash.
Last but not least, Mirage is available with:
- 6 airbags standard (incl. side & curtain)
- Standard active safety features, incl:
- ABS + Active Stability Control + Traction Control + Brake Assist
- Hill Start Assist (CVT only) + Emergency Stop Signal System
As I stated, there will be a few areas where the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage will be modified, but this a good start for a vehicle Mitsubishi has pinned so much hope upon.
Speaking of safe European ratings check out this top rated 2013 Volkswagen CC R-Line 0-60 MPH Drive & Review!