We are now inside the top three in the TFLcar Track Week (top ten) video review series. Track Week is where we take every day cars and put them through their paces at the High Plains Raceway in Colorado. TFLcar team attended the annual RMDE event put on by the RMAP association, and Roman wanted to see how these cars compare to each other on the race track. So, we mounted the cameras and the SoloDL GPS data recorder, and Roman went out in search of the best lap times.
Today we have the 2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE – second fastest car in this top ten. 1LE code pays tribute to the performance track oriented option from the late-80s Camaro. And now this package is back for the 2013 model year. You can add this $3,500 package to 1SS or 2SS trim level and it comes with the following.
- FE6 Performance Ride and Handling Suspension
- 1LE-specific front and rear stabilizer bars
- Four-piston Brembo® disc brakes with red calipers
- Goodyear® Eagle® F1 Supercar® Gen 2 tires (P285/35ZR20)
- Upgraded halfshafts designed to handle the higher grip and handling of the rear tires
- Tower-to-tower brace to enhance structural feel
- Tremec® 6-speed manual transmission with specific gearing
- Electric Power Steering
- Available dual-mode exhaust with quad outlets
- 3.91:1 axle ratio
You can also add a sport exhaust system with quad tail pipes. In the end, what you have is a ZL1 look-a-like with enormous race track potential, and all this for around $40,000. The Goodyear Eagle F1s are wider and measure 10 inches on the front and 11 inches at the rear. Although this package does not provide you with Magnetic ride suspension from the ZL1, the tuning of FE6 is really good. This car showed race car levels of grip at the track. Very impressive and addicting! 1LE only comes with a 6-speed manual – as it should. And I did not know it had Electric power steering until I read the spec sheet. Chevrolet did a great job with this power steering setup. It has very good weight and feel.
See more TFLcar reviews of the Chevrolet Camaro.
If all these words do not convey what 1LE is about, then watch this race track video review to see this Camaro shave many seconds off the over cars. Come back again to see the #1 car! Tomorrow’s Track Week car is Godzilla. More specifically, 2014 Nissan GT-R Premium.
Track Week Top Ten:
10. 2014 Nissan Juke NISMO – 1:14.66
9. 2014 Mazda Mazda6 2.5 AT – 1:14.14
8. 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio – 1:13.79
7. 2013 Honda Accord Sport AT – 1:12.28
6. 2013 Subaru BRZ – 1:12.24
5. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT – 1:09.79
4. 2013 Ford Focus ST – 1:08.89
3. 2013 Audi S5 – 1:07.13
2. 2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE – 1:04.06
1. 2014 Nissan GT-R Premium – 1:02.45
Andre Smirnov is a life-long automotive enthusiast, writer, reporter, and software engineer. He has been a contributor at TFLcar since 2011. When not working or spending time with the family – you can find him tinkering in the garage or simply ‘going for a drive’.