GLC AMG 43 or SQ5?
TFL’s Roman Mica had a chance to drive the souped-up 2018 editions of the Mercedes-Benz GLC AMG 43 and Audi SQ5 crossovers. And from the looks of it both of these high-performance variants of German cars could be from the same mother. Consider the rough similarities:
- Prices: M-B, $60,000; Audi, $55,000
- Engines: 3.0-liter turbo V6’s
- Horsepower/Torque: M-B, 362 hp/384 lb-ft. torque; Audi, 354 hp/354 lb-ft. torque
- Both feature all wheel drive
- Love it/hate it augmented engine sound technology
The GLC AMG43 and SQ5 do differ in two important ways:
- Transmission: M-B, 9-speed automatic; Audi, 8-speed automatic
- Rear passenger/cargo room: M-B, features a sloping “coupé” roofline; Audi, traditional hatchback
Both vehicles accelerate like rockets with no turbo lag according to Roman. The difference really comes down to aesthetics and functionality: Either you’re a Mercedes person or an Audi person. What does that mean? Well, Roman gives it a shot with this analogy, the Audi is more of a snowboarder, i.e., you ride a board screaming fast down a slope, while the Mercedes-Benz is a more athletic skier, carving his way down the mountain with precision.
Watch the video to see what he means and to figure out if you’re a Mercedes person or an Audi fan. And also for Roman’s head-scratching beef with the Mercedes-Benz.