The Scion FR-S is a back-to-basics, lightweight sports car setup that has rear-wheel drive, excellent balance, and an affordable price. The FR-S easily pirouettes around turns, but is not intimidating to drive hard like a lot of high-powered rear-wheel drive sports cars can be. Its 200 horsepower normally aspirated 4-cylinder boxer engine is no slacker, but it lacks low-end torque that larger engines – or even forced induction engines – can offer.
New for 2016 is a new standard audio system, 7-inch touchscreen, integrated rearview camera, and bright silver interior accents. The new for 2016 system also has voice training (on non-navigation units only), a quick POI Search feature, which allows the driver to quickly find the nearest gas, bank, etc. (with navigation only), and a phonebook that holds up to 2,500 contacts with four numbers each. Two new colors have been added to the palette – Ablaze red and Oceanic blue.
The 2016 Scion FR-S has a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $25,305 with a six-speed manual transmission or $26,405 with a six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters and Dynamic Rev Management® technology.
Watch TFL Car’s performance review recorded on a closed course at IMI Motorsports in Colorado.
2016 Scion FR-S Specs:
- Engine: 2.0L Boxer 4-cylinder
- Power: 200 hp @ 7,000 rpm
- Torque: 151 lb-ft @ 6400 rpm
- Transmission: 6-speed manual (standard) | 6-speed automatic w/dynamic rev management (optional)
- EPA-estimated fuel economy (city/hwy/combined mpg): 22/30/25 (6MT) | 25/34/28 (6AT)
- Drivetrain layout: front engine, rear-wheel drive
- Curb weight: 2,758 lbs. (6MT) | 2,806 lbs. (6AT)
- Front – MacPherson® Strut
- Rear – Double Wishbone
- Stabilizer Bar Diameter: 18mm / 14mm (front/rear)