The 2016 Buick Encore Sport is expected to get an 11 percent horsepower increase, upgraded wheels, and additional exterior upgrades. The new turbocharged direct-injected, 1.4-liter, four-cylinder engine makes 153 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque (up nearly 20-percent). It is still a front-wheel drive vehicle with all-wheel drive available; the only transmission choice is a six-speed automatic.
Buick has a lot riding on the 2016 Buick Encore. The tiny, luxury crossover is a huge success for the brand. Buick Encore sales are up 29-percent as of the first six-months of 2015.
“Encore is a driving force behind Buick’s expansion and a catalyst for introducing a new generation of customers to the brand,” said Duncan Aldred, U.S. vice president of Buick. “The all-new Encore Sport Touring broadens that base, giving customers more choices – along with more performance, more technology and more efficiency.”
New for the 2016 Buick Encore Sport is a stop-start feature. This gas-saving technology typically used with hybrid cars, is available on many non-hybrid European import vehicles and now being adopted in more cars from the domestic automakers. This system works by shutting the engine off at a full stop and restarting the engine when the brake is released.
Like the current model, the 2016 Buick Encore occupies an unusual segment, one that tends to nickle-and-dime the consumer for options and packages. Buick adds a lot of value by offering a lot for the money.
Standard features for the 2016 Buick Encore:
- Blue-accented halogen composite projector-beam headlamps
- IntelliLink voice-activated infotainment system with a seven-inch-diagonal, high-resolution, full-color display
- OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with a Wi-Fi hotspot, including a three-month/3GB data trial
- Rearview camera system
- Fold-flat front passenger seat that extends the cargo length and accommodates items up to eight feet long
- Ten standard air bags, including side-curtain and knee air bags
- QuietTuning with Bose Active Noise Cancellation technology
- Heated outside rearview mirrors with signal indicators
- Fuel-saving electric power steering
- Four-wheel disc brakes.
- Encore Sport Touring also includes the Convenience package, which adds a 120-volt power outlet, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, dual-zone climate control, fog lamps, Rear Cross Traffic
- Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert and remote starting.
Exterior upgrades for the new 2016 Buick Encore Sport include a new rear spoiler, 18-inch aluminum wheels and body color door handles. All-wheel drive, a premium Bose® audio system, navigation radio and a moonroof are available.
Check out Roman flying around our test track in a Buick Regal GS!
Additional 1.4L turbo details:
The Encore Sport Touring’s exclusive 1.4L turbo is based on an all-new engine family, sharing only its displacement with the Encore’s standard 1.4L turbo engine. It features an aluminum cylinder block and head, which helps reduce mass for better performance and efficiency.
Engine efficiency is also bolstered through reduced friction, including low-friction piston rings, a low-friction camshaft drive and a low-friction oil pump. Additional engine features include:
- A durable steel crankshaft for strength and reduced engine vibration
- Powder-metal steel connecting rods and hypereutectic-alloy aluminum pistons that are tough and contribute to quietness. They are used with low-tension rings that reduce friction
- A variable-flow oiling system that helps maximize fuel efficiency. The crankshaft-driven oil pump matches oil supply to engine load, changing its capacity based on the engine’s demand for oil – eliminating energy wasted to pump unneeded oil
- Piston-cooling oil jets that minimize piston temperatures – helping to make the most of performance, refinement, efficiency and emissions.
- The cylinder head has a water-cooled exhaust manifold integrated within the aluminum casting. Its single-piece design helps quicken engine warm-up, which contributes to better emissions performance. Improved durability results from eliminating the need for gasket sealing around the exhaust ports, as well as offering under-hood packaging advantages.
Along with performance and efficiency, the new 1.4L engine offers excellent refinement, with low vibration and noise levels – a hallmark of Buick’s commitment to quiet vehicles. Highlights include:
- The camshaft drive-chain, with an inverted-tooth design, and chain architecture designed for low sound levels
- A lower, stamped steel sump at the bottom of the aluminum oil pan
- The front-end accessory drive features an overriding alternator coupler to remove the effect of crankshaft oscillations. It also allows a reduction in tensioning force, which reduces friction levels and improves efficiency
- Acoustically optimized covers for the top and front of the engine
- Crankshaft isolation with iron main bearing inserts.
|Easily amused by anything with four wheels, Nathan Adlen reviews vehicles from the cheapest to the most prestigious. Wrecking yards, dealer lots, garages, racetracks, professional automotive testing and automotive journalism – Nathan has experienced a wide range of the automotive spectrum. His words, good humor and videos are enjoyed worldwide.